Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Reel in Readers with Deep POV

The last several months I have been spending my "free" time revising Queen of the Night based on some great critiques I have received. I am planning to have it ready to query this week, starting with my entry in the Sun vs. Snow contest as winner of a FreePass by Michelle Hauck. After all the revising I've done, I want to pass along a book recommendation for writers, suggested to me by Martina Boone. (She's one of the critiquers I mentioned.)

Rivet Your Readers with Deep Point of View by Jill Elizabeth Nelson is a highly focused writing guide designed to help writers hone their ability to write the main character's point of view (POV) so that readers will experience as if it's their own. The book is short and sweet, but comes with exercises at the end of each chapter to help practice each tip. Basically, it boils down to not letting a narrator come between the reader and the MC, and the tips are very practical. Forget writing about thoughts or feelings, and make them come alive. Express the MC's thoughts and feelings without using those or similar words so that the reader gets a deep, immediate experience.  Say what they think or feel, and express it in their actions. There are many more practical tips and it is an easy read, so it's well worth down-loading to your Kindle.

Check it out here at Amazon if you want to bump your writing quality up a notch or two, and please leave a comment if you have a recommendation for books with great writing tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment